Lemon water is often considered as the nutritionist’s recommended drink that helps in weight-loss management.
Yes, drinking lemon water helps you to lose weight, as it speeds up the weight-loss process.
Apart from possessing properties that promote weight loss, lemon water also works as a detox that cleanses the body toxins and also provides a boost in energy.
How does lemon water help people lose weight?
Lemon water is considered to be a healthy drink when consumed in moderation. It is a renowned source of vitamin C and even potassium. Vitamin C has shown positive results as far as weight loss is concerned.
Lemon is also known to contain a fiber generally found in citric fruits, pectin. Pectin offers some assistance in weight loss; it lowers LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) levels in the body and has anti-inflammatory properties that promote weight loss.
Lemon water also plays an indirect role in the weight-loss process. It can be a great way to quench your thirst; it is very often found that people mistake thirst for hunger.
Lemon adds taste to water, which makes it easier to drink and, thus, be more hydrated. This also prevents hunger cravings that are triggered due to thirst. Also, it prevents one of the major reasons of weight gain: slow metabolism, as it decreases dehydration in the body.
How do you prepare lemon water?
Some people prefer to drink lemon water served cold, some prefer it a little warm, and there are others that add ice to normal water.
Considering the fact that weight loss is our major concern, we recommend drinking warm lemon water.
An average peeled lemon consists of 17 calories; therefore, you must understand that you do consume some calories when you drink it. Thus, ensure that you keep your daily calorie count in mind.
- Boil 1/4 glass of water (allow it to cool down a bit).
- Take 3/4 glass of normal water and add to it.
- Cut a lemon in half, remove the seeds if necessary, and squeeze it in the water.
- Stir it well and drink while it is still warm.
People also prefer to add little salt or sugar to lemon water in order to counter the sour taste of lemon.
Tips for Drinking
Drinking lemon water is helpful in the weight-loss process, but you have to ensure that you do it in the right way.
Here are few tips for drinking lemon water.
- Ensure that lemon water is the first thing you drink in the morning, as this will trigger the cleansing process. Also, see that you drink half a squeezed lemon in 12 ounces of filtered water to get more benefits.
- Avoid drinking too much lemon water in a short time, as this will cause unwanted detoxification symptoms, including a headache and changes in bowel movements. Ensure that you drink it at least 30 minutes before having meals.
- Always consider squeezing fresh lemons and, if possible, drink filtered water.
- You must always drink warm lemon water to attain best results. This will allow the body to get maximum health benefits.
- Lemon water can damage tooth enamel, so avoid brushing your teeth 60 minutes prior to drinking lemon water.
- If you are allergic to lemon, it is best to avoid consuming lemon water. Especially for individuals with ulcers and allergic conditions, consulting a doctor is recommended.
Lemon water provides you with various benefits along with acting as a part of a weight-loss diet. If you choose to drink lemon water every time you crave soft drinks or juices that have more calories in them, you will soon be consuming fewer calories than you usually do, as they shall be replaced with lemon water.
This definitely is one of the essential processes for weight-loss management.
Start your day with one glass of lemon water and enjoy its health benefits.